Monday, February 9, 2009

Hat's off to the man of the hour

I've really been wrestling over the last few days what to write about in this week's blog. I know that the idea is to just write whatever's on my mind, but there's often so many things that it would just be a discombobulated (spelled that right on the first try :D ) mess. Plus, I want this blog to be more than the random thoughts of an eighth year college student (and that's for a bachelor's). Though, I'm afraid for at least this post that's what you're getting. By the way, I love all the comments I've been getting, both on Facebook and in person. This has been a really incredible way to connect with all of you, so please, keep the thoughts, questions, comments and snide remarks coming!

First of all, I cannot post a blog today without mentioning one of the best people I've ever had the privilege of knowing, Jesse Abraham Bogue. It's not really my place to write a lot about him. I'll just say that he was born 20 years ago today and is dearly missed by friends and family. I was blessed enough to hang out and laugh with some of them tonight. Especially on a day like to day I am reminded of just how important these times are. Thanks again, Jess, for reminding me of that.

You know, I had some other things I wanted to talk about today, but after spending some time thinking about Jess, I think I'm done. The other stuff I was going to write about just seems...trivial. I'll still leave you with a question, though. Over the few months prior to Jess's passing, I didn't really see or spend time with him. I think the last real interaction I had with him was at the 76 in Canby where he stopped and talked with me as I was filling up and he just happened to be walking by. I can't help but feel sad and a little guilty because of this. How could I let my friendship with one of the most amazing people I know become so casual? I think it's sad that the reason why I know what's going on with most of you is because of your Facebook status, rather than sitting down and talking to you. My question is how can we keep from letting most of our friendships slip into obscurity? (I know we can't be close friends with everyone, but surely I can do a better job maintaining relationships than I do) And if you want to go a little deeper (and get a little personal), are there any past friendships that you "mourn" because you haven't maintained it? Thanks again everyone for your comments. Remember, you can comment here or on Facebook. Also, if you just can't get enough "what's Dustin up to" then you can follow me on Twitter :)

Blessings everyone!
Dustin

2 comments:

  1. This is something that I grapple with too and I've been thinking of the very same thing lately. I have seen more of my friends online than I have in person. If it weren't for MySpace and Facebook I wouldn't be in touch with my brothers (that's really sad but I think one of them prefers it that way).

    On the flip side, emails and comments and things are just as important and helpful. They keep you in touch when you can't meet in person. The older we get the harder it is to meet in person. For me, I'm geographically far from people and a lot of people are leary about coming to Portland (even though it's a fun city). Also, time is at a premium. I think the best thing to do to maintain friendships is 1) stay in contact even if it's a facebook message and 2) Try to sneak in a coffee outing or dinner with your friends whenever you can. Even if you make plans and it takes months to make it happen. I'm still waiting for my brothers to have dinner with me. And I've asked about once every two months for the last three years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Megan. I agree that these new way to network really do help us stay in better contact with people. I've been surprised by how it's affected my face to face interactions with people. Because I have a general idea of what's going on in their life because of facebook, I have a jumping off point to enter into deeper conversation with people. "What do you think of the weather?" becomes "How's your sister doing, you mentioned something about her on facebook." I love that. I think the key (or at least something important) is to not let these virtual interactions take the place of face to face meetings, even if they're few and far between. Thanks again for your post, Megan. And I'll get on Ben about going to visit his big sister :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete